Good day, health fans! I am going to run an updated version of a blog I posted on GMO’s on 11/25/13. In that post, I reported that there’s growing evidence that gut bacteria really might influence our minds, as explained in the link below from NPR:
We already know that up to 80% of our immunity resides in our gut, so I found this additional aspect of its function fascinating. Indeed, all of our biological systems are interconnected and cannot be understood in isolation (as is done in conventional western medicine). This also underscores the importance of protecting your gut health and being aware of what compromises it, such as GMO’s.
The concerns are with Glyphosate and Bt-toxin in GMO’s, as explained in the link below:
Citing U.S. Dept. of Agriculture data, Environmental Protection Act records, medical journal reviews, and international research, the authors relate genetically modified foods to five conditions that may either trigger or exacerbate gluten-related disorders, including the serious autoimmune disorder, Celiac Disease:
– Intestinal permeability
– Imbalanced gut bacteria
– Immune activation and allergic response
– Impaired digestion
– Damage to the intestinal wall
How can this be? Most GMOs, such as soy, corn and cotton, are engineered to tolerate a weed killer called glyphosate (Roundup®). They contain high levels of this toxin at harvest. Corn and cotton varieties are also engineered to produce an insecticide called Bt-toxin. The report focuses primarily on the effects of these two toxins.
Executive Director of the Institute for Responsible Technology, Jeffrey Smith, explains, “The Bt-toxin in corn is designed to puncture holes in insect cells, but studies show it does the same in human cells and may be linked to leaky gut, which physicians consistently see in gluten-sensitive patients.”
Stephanie Seneff, Senior Research Scientist at MIT, expresses concern about Roundup®: “Glyphosate is a patented antibiotic that destroys beneficial gut bacteria. An imbalance of gut flora commonly accompanies Celiac Disease and other gluten-related disorders.”
We now have new evidence that glyphosate (again, patented by Monsanto as an antibiotic) accumulates in GM food and not non-GM foods:
The authors make the valid argument that “If Monsanto’s Roundup herbicide were actually ‘safer than table salt’ as they once advertised, the consumption of GM food wouldn’t be nearly as controversial. The truth, however, is that virtually all GM food today contains residues of this toxic chemical, which disproves that GM and non-GM foods are ‘substantially equivalent,” and which is the primary doctrinal justification behind why GM foods are not properly safety tested and millions in this country eating them are living and breathing guinea pigs.”
Surprised that you are a guinea pig? That eating foods deemed “safe” by the FDA could do this to your gut? Don’t be, as the FDA is clearly not in the business of protecting us, but rather in the business of protecting the profits of their overlords, Big Ag and Big Pharma. You must educate and protect yourself. Here’s your best course of action:
– If your state is considering a GMO labeling law, vote “YES”! Do not believe the industry propaganda that labeling is too difficult and expensive. Over 60 other countries require GMO labeling, so it is quite possible. Do not believe industry propaganda that GMO’s have been demonstrated to be safe. Recently, a coalition of European scientists at the European Network of Scientists for Social and Environmental Responsibility (ENSSER) have concluded that there is NO CONSENSUS REGARDING SAFETY OF GMO’s:
Here is a summary of their statement:
“We strongly reject claims by GM seed developers and some scientists, commentators, and journalists that there is a “scientific consensus” on GMO safety and that the debate on this topic is “over”.
“We feel compelled to issue this statement because the claimed consensus on GMO safety does not exist. The claim that it does exist is misleading and misrepresents the currently available scientific evidence and the broad diversity of opinion among scientists on this issue. Moreover, the claim encourages a climate of complacency that could lead to a lack of regulatory and scientific rigour and appropriate caution, potentially endangering the health of humans, animals, and the environment.”
The group’s main objections to scientific consensus include:
1) There is no consensus on GM food safety
2) There are no epidemiological studies investigating potential effects of GM food consumption on human health
3) Claims that scientific and governmental bodies endorse GMO safety are exaggerated or inaccurate
4) EU research project does not provide reliable evidence of GM food safety
5) List of several hundred studies does not show GM food safety
6) There is no consensus on the environmental risks of GM crops
7) International agreements show widespread recognition of risks posed by GM foods and crops
– Choose non-GMO and organic for as many ingredients as possible. If consumers continue to reject GMO’s, then the profit margin will not be there and the factory farms will have to change their approach.
Please and thank you! 🙂