Welcome back! Another month of learning about food and nutrition is nearly behind us, so I wanted to summarize our 11 posts for February. Check these out of you missed them, or if you would like a refresher!
We devoted most of the posts to the types of demon foods to avoid and better alternatives:
– The perils of MODERN WHEAT were discussed by Dr. Hyman here: https://wholebodymindspirit.wordpress.com/2014/01/29/dr-hyman-rocks-it-again/. In summary, new modern wheat (not what our grandparents ate!) is different in three important ways that all drive obesity, diabetes, heart disease, cancer, dementia and more: it contains a Super Starch – amylopectin A that is super fattening; it contains a form of Super Gluten that is super-inflammatory; it contains forms of a Super Drug that is super-addictive and makes you crave and eat more. Sounds Super Bad to me…
– The inflammatory nature of gluten is a well-known contributor to gut issues like Celiac’s. However, what is less appreciated (and denied by Big Food and Big Ag) is how GMO’s also contribute to serious gut issues. The perils of GMO’s on our gut health were covered here: https://wholebodymindspirit.wordpress.com/2014/02/07/another-reason-to-reject-gmos-please-and-thank-you/. In summary, the weed-killer/antibiotic glyphosate and pesticide Bt-toxin have no place in our food and especially our guts.
– We moved onto the sweet stuff, SUGAR, the demonic qualities of which were discussed here: https://wholebodymindspirit.wordpress.com/2014/02/14/everything-you-wanted-to-know-about-fat-but-were-afraid-to-ask/. We also covered the necessity of good fats, which we’ve been *incorrectly* told to avoid. This post started a great discussion on the Nutrition forum, in which one person asked, “Sugar CAUSES heart attacks?”. This person was incredulous because this runs counter to the *incorrect dogma* that dietary fat and cholesterol cause heart attacks. Steve Carney responded to this question with a great explanation (Thanks Steve!):
Sugar tends to spike glucose levels, raises triglyceride levels, and trigger small, dense LDL particles, highly atherosclerotic. Sugar also triggers a host of digestive, metabolic, and hormonal imbalances, including inflammation. That inflammation often affect arteries, and can start a lesion. That, in turn, brings immune cells, macrophages, and cholesterol to help seal the lesion. Often, the immune cells get trapped in the artery walls and that’s really how atherosclerosis starts. Smoking, refined veggie oils (they oxidize quickly, again triggering an immune response) and other refined carbs add to the problem.
– Speaking of sugar, we excoriated SODA here: https://wholebodymindspirit.wordpress.com/2014/01/31/lets-dive-into-inorganic-chemistry-i-mean-into-soda/. The artificial colors and sweeteners were focused upon, but the stuff is just crap and has no place in our bodies, especially growing ones. I’ll have a green smoothie and a smile, thanks!
– We then felt the need to excoriate another American favorite, BREAKFAST CEREAL, here: https://wholebodymindspirit.wordpress.com/2014/02/05/the-breakfast-of-champions-may-not-be-so-gr-r-reat/. We described how the manufacturing process, extrusion, basically kills any nutrition that may be present in the initial grains. Add that to the sugary abomination that the puffs and flakes have become, and we advised one and all to kick Count Chocula, Trix the Rabbit, and Tony the Tiger out of the house and enjoy organic, free-range eggs, smoothies, or porridge instead for breakfast.
– We also got into chemistry a bit, by covering AZODICARBONAMIDE, ASCORBIC ACID and other TOXIC ITEMS that have no place in our bodies:
What to do? Per Dr. Hyman, avoid the bad actors and incorporate detoxifying foods as much as possible.
This wouldn’t be a blog without a couple of good, old-fashioned RANTS! We took the opportunity to rant about the slimy hypocrisy of the American Cancer Society, Coca-Cola, and Monsanto commercials aired during the Super Bowl here: https://wholebodymindspirit.wordpress.com/2014/02/03/weekend-wrap-the-cringe-worthy-super-bowl-ad-edition/. Finally, we noted and harshly judged the steamy romance between Big Pharma and our entire medical establishment here: https://wholebodymindspirit.wordpress.com/2014/02/21/ask-your-doctor-if-an-avocado-has-cholesterol-and-see-what-happens//. We included the benefits of avocados, which is more nutrition information that you would probably get from your (perhaps well-meaning but insufficiently trained) allopathic doctor!
And there you have it! Live long and eat well, my friends!