Apparently Monsanto realized they have an image problem and want to fix it! Read more here:
The fact of the matter is that they are suffering an image problem because a growing number of people are realizing that their grand GMO experiment on the planet and our bodies has been an abject failure. The mainstream media is not covering this as relentlessly as they should. However, it seems enough food activists on the fringes of the interwebs are making enough noise to make them uncomfortable.
Here’s the propaganda vs. the facts:
– Propaganda: GMO’s are safe for consumption
- Fact: GMO’s are not safe for consumption. There is growing evidence that combining food + pesticide or bacteria DNA in ways nature never intended is bad for our digestive systems (where over 70% of our immunity resides) and may lead to diseases like food allergies, gluten intolerance, and cancer, to name a few. Also, there is evidence that data was cooked in the few studies that were done which indicate they are safe for consumption (The Unhealthy Truth, Robyn O’Brien). Basically GMO’s were unleashed on all of us with no data to indicate they are safe, so we have all been guinea pigs for decades.
– Propaganda: GMO’s will decrease pesticide usage
- Fact: GMO’s are leading to increased pesticide usage. The first generation of GMO’s used fewer pesticides because the pesticide DNA was combined with the DNA of the food, as with Bt-corn! Moving on from the health implications of eating pesticide…the weeds adapted, and now we have SUPERWEEDS, which need a new generation of GMO’s and even more potent pesticides (http://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/issues/311/ge-foods) . So now we are in an escalating chemical war with nature. Guess who the losers will be?
– Propaganda: GMO’s will increase crop yields
- Fact: Numerous studies have indicated that GMO’s maintain, or decrease, crop yields. So there’s an epic fail.
– Propaganda: GMO’s are good for small farmers
- Fact: Farmers cannot reuse seeds from the previous harvest and instead have to purchase Monsanto’s patented seeds every year, driving them further into debt. The situation is so bad in the developing world that over 250,000 farmers in India have committed suicide in the past 25 years because of their desperate financial situation (http://www.navdanya.org/). Monsanto also sues small farmers that are growing their patented seeds without their knowledge because they blew over their fields and started growing. Great deal for small farmers, huh? The end game here is to put small and organic farmers out of business and ensure we are all under the control of whatever slop the big corporate factory farms feed us. Sad but true
– Propaganda: GMO’s are the only way to feed the world
- Fact: GMO’s have no nutritional benefits, crop yield benefits, pesticide usage benefits, or financial benefits for farmers, so they are not the salvation for the world. This claim, most of all, has been thoroughly refuted in The Global Citizens Report “The GMO Emperor Has No Clothes”. Find it here: http://www.navdanya.org/attachments/Latest_Publications7.pdf
During their charm offensive, Monsanto will repeat their tired claims that genetically engineered crops will save the world by increasing yields and producing more food, by controlling pests and weeds, by reducing chemical use in agriculture, etc. Let’s not let their feel-good, glossy, expensive marketing tactics blind us to the truth.